Monday, January 4, 2010

Brussel Sprouts - Even the kids will like 'em....

So living in Ann Arbor, I have came across a lot of delicious little things from random places.  This one in particular came from a newpaper clipping. If I remember correctly the article was about brussel sprouts and how to cook them so more people can enjoy their charm instead of their stigma. 

So in my usual adventurous manner I pulled a box of frozen brussel sprouts out of the freezer I bought on sale, fitting within a college budget, thawed them out and went to work.

And I must say I was rather impressed, I find it difficult to fit them all in the skillet at the same time, but they are well worth it in my opinion.  I should also tag this as renewing my taste for balsamic vinegar.

 Until I find the recipe I have stashed here it is off the top of my head:

Box brussel sprouts (fresh are probably better just have not tried them yet)
Balsalmic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil

How to gir-r-dun
  • Preheat oven to 400
  • Slice sprouts in half lengthwise
  • Heat some olive oil in skillet (preferably cast iron)
  • Cook spouts face down in skillet till browned on face
  • De glaze pan with 3-4 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Roast in oven till done (3-5 minutes)

The link below is a similar recipe I found online for those that like to print things out and double reference:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/05/dinner-tonight-dan-barbers-brussels-sprouts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment